Monday, November 13, 2006

New Job!!!

Title: Program Manager
With who: www.youthodyssey.com
Where: Corpus Christi, TX
Beginning: November 20, 2006
Doing what: Developing and implementing programs for at-risk youth (i.e. drug/alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, emotional/physical abuse, economic problems). These kids are basically bottom of the barrel kids. Our focus is providing life skills and changing behavior...helping them to help themselves through team building, rope courses, and adventure trips (rock climbing, kayaking, etc...)1-2 times a month. There are a couple of different programs:
1). After school programs lasting 6-9 weeks. This is visiting five schools once a week for two-hours. Saturdays are spent on the ropes course, 1-2 adventure trips, and there is a graduation at the end of the program.
2). Boot Camp for individuals who have been incarcerated. These guys are usually really eager to participate because they have been locked away for a bit. We do the same team building and ropes with them to help change behavior and life skill development.
3). Random ropes course gigs on weekends
I wanted a challenging job and I got one. I will be developing my own programs and implementing them along with grant writing, fund raising, budgeting, networking, etc...I'm really excited for this job. Basically I've reached my limit with environmental education and there is no room for growth. So I'm taking a different approach and trying this. Applying a natural connection and helping with community and individual development in the lower class of Corpus Christi. In addition they are offering to pay for additional training like kayak cert, continuing education on the ropes course, first responder/EMT, and more.

As you can tell I'm excited and eager to get started. Oh yes, please don't send any mail till I update you on the address of my future apartment. Hopefully within a week or so I should have this. But my telephone numbers at Mo are current through the 19th of November.

No comments: