The past month has been like a hurricane with millions of kids coming to Mo it seems. So when my boss gave us a four day weekend I decided to go camping to rest my weary soul. I chose Bastrop for the pine trees and extensive hiking trails.
Now my reasons for camping alone was twofold. First, I wanted to spend long hours hiking and exploring. Second, I needed some time to think and make some crucial decisions about my future. Luckily I succeeded in both avenues.
When I arrived after a three hour drive I was kind of in a daze. So when I saw the sign reading "campsites by reservation only" it really didn't register till after I had waited in line for five minutes. When it was my turn I mentioned the sign and something along the lines of "do you have one hiding for me?" Turns out he did. I got the last site, paid my dues, and went on my merry way. After a little difficulty (remember I was tired) I got assistance from a nice ranger who showed me my site. We talked about the expected weather (highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s) and how we think my site was far superior to the others.
Afterwards I began to set up camp and was interrupted (too strong of a word) by two women asking if I was camping alone. My first thought was "no, I have 10 big burly guys coming in about five minutes" but instead I said "yes I am". To make a long story short. There were no other sites available and this was one woman's first time camping...only staying one night...can we share a site...I'm making cobbler. Well the cobbler sold me. Hee hee hee, joking. I thought for a few seconds about how I could have been in their shoes without a campsite. So I said "sure". They began setup and I went off on a short hike before dinner. That night we talked a lot mostly about the newbee's life in Bosnia and now living in the US for eight years; the others strong passion for Dutch ovens, and my career as an adventure educator. We shared food and laughs. Overall it was a pleasant visit. The next morning I left after breakfast for a 12-mile hike and when I returned they were gone leaving a note of appreciation, small token, and some ziplock bags of leftovers that the wildlife was enjoying.
So I had one night of company and the rest of my time I was able to enjoy the solitude of camping alone. I didn't have to follow a schedule or compromise on what to do with anyone. It was simply my time and I was basking in it. I did a lot of hiking, reading, journaling, sketching, and photography. Very refreshing and rewarding to "just be" in the presence of God and His creations. Lots of thinking time while hiking also.
The hikes were nice mostly short and interconnected expect the 'lost pines hike'. I chose the latter for my Sunday hike. I was pretty much alone the entire time. The combination of the smell of warm pines in sun, crunch of needles underfoot, and perky sounds of the wildlife took me back home to Washington growing up at my parents' house. It was then that I realized I can be at home anywhere. All it really takes/has taken in the past is to 'get to know' the area, the ins and outs, the guts of a place to make it your own. Sure I miss the mountains of Washington and the evergreens but I can jump in my car and find all those within a day. Point is, this planet is not our home but we make due with what is given unto us. God has a plan for me after Mo and is slowly revealing it as time passes. One should not be afraid to step out of one's comfort zone for that is when the real growth begins. This trip was refreshing and eye-opening on many different levels. Exploration-check, thinking and decision time-check; mission accomplished.
Funny things I realized while hiking:
1)Don't presume that an elderly couple ahead of you is frail, unprepared, and might be in need of your CPR training because they might just ask to step aside because they and their packed waist packs are moving faster than you are as you are fully playing your role of naturalist.
2)Just when you think that no one has been on this part of the trail in a very long time (note:this is a popular state park), look around because you might have wandered off the path.
3)People will still hit on you while hiking...invite you to jog with them even when it's apparent that you are not properly equipped for a jog.
No comments:
Post a Comment