Ok just some background info. Hockaday is a private school in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Their 9th graders come every fall and stay for a week. One of their activities is to go on a campout. Now these girls come from well-to-do families that go to Africa or Greece for their family vacations. In a group of 12 there were 8 who had parents as doctors, 4 were lawyers, and 4 were biotech engineers. Most had never been on a camping trip before and are "allergic" to dirt. However, not all the girls are bad most are very open to trying new things but are still oblivious to much.
Here are a couple of quotes from the girls:
"We have to sleep on the ground without a tent?"
"Others say we're going to wake up wet (with dew)...is that true?" Well, technically the air does cool down in the fall season.
"What are you guys going to wear to dinner?" Later: "What are you guys going to wear after s'mores?"
"What about the wild animals... you know the deer, armadillos, and javalinas?"
"Becky, guess what? I just chased an armadillo...it was soo cool!"
"Why do we have to have a night watch?" "For learning responsibility and bonding." "What if you don't want to bond or have responsibility?"
"Yes, I just peed in the woods! (hands flung over head)"
"What happens of I need to have a bowel movement?"
"Night vision is so cool...I can actually see."
"Here fan the fire." "Can I fan the fire again?" "No, it's doing just fine." Later I look back and see the student with my crazy creek in mid fan, frozen because she has just been caught.
"Psycho bat", "Silly bat", " Noisy bat", "Wobbly bat"
I wake up in the middle of the night to a blazing fire three feet tall. "What are you doing?" We heard coyotes"
Again I wake up in middle of the night to "BLOW BLOW BLOW", as the fire struggles to stay alive during night watch.
And those are just a few of the moments during the campout. There was much more entertainment during the remainder of the week. Hee hee hee, good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment