As most of you know this is my first winter home in three years. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a big deal. After living in the tropics then Texas I yearned for snow and cold weather, knowing well that I stood a chance of literally freezing my butt off. Ahh, but the snow is a worthy sacrifice.
When winter break arrived for the Texas school system I flew back to Spokane in time for Thanksgiving. We had a full house of family and a plentiful spread of the traditional courses. Everything was perfect . I enjoyed helping prepare the meal with my Mom and Grandma W., passing on the trade secrets. The bastings and tastings made way for the main event where all ate too much and took to digesting and continued socializing in the living room (picture the familiar leaning back and unbuttoning the pants). It's a fact that washing a million dishes helps one digest faster creating room for pumpkin and cherry pies. I even got into a big wrestling match with my cousin while trying to rescue another from being tortured via tickling.
Even though the cowboys lost it was a memorable first Thanksgiving back.
Christmas time in Spokane seems made in heaven. All the shopping for the sake of giving amist the cheer and snow is unlike anywhere else I've ever been. Perhaps I am bias but celebrating a momentous event with the ones you love is something each person holds dear. I remember being in Cebu with palm trees, the Pacific sand, and 90plus degree weather. It just didn't feel like Christmas to me. I loved spending time with my Filipino family and they were wonderful but I needed the snow, crisp air, and smells of baking, pine, and fir to re-ignite my fond memories of growing up. Like skating on the frozen pond, tubing down the "killer" hill, selecting and decorating the tree with my favorite ornaments, buying gifts, scenic drives in search of exciting lights, Christmas Eve candlelight services, night time treats, late night anticipation, stockings, surprised looks of "it's just what I wanted", sausage breakfast, family, friends, and new life. Sharing these memories with new and old family is something I will always treasure. The joys of Christmas are hard to replace. Being right here with my family for Thanksgiving and Christmas made me feel like the richest person in the world.
Three years was a longtime to wait and experience the thrills again; but a wait well worth while. Like the song goes, "Christmas time in the northwest is the best time of the year... a child's answered prayer...". I am so thankful and blessed. Thank you to all who made it possible to appreciate a time such as this.
1 comment:
you've gotta find a way to email me some pictures, so that I can catalog our trip on my blog!! Plus, post you and I and karla la.
Post a Comment