Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Eucatastrophe

In case you missed my randomness, here you go!

Catastrophe defined by Merriam-Webster is the momentous tragic event ranging from extreme misfortune to utter overthrow or ruin.

With that said, while watching the making of a glorious epic trilogy it was said that Tolkien liked to use the word 'eucatastrophe'. Now all you educated people know that this is not a word, merely a play of them. However, in the world of fantasy one's imagination is limitless. (In fact, I have my own dictionary with words like "ishkabob" as some of you well know but that is another post.) Tolkien defines 'eucatastrophe' as a sudden, unpredictable turn from bad to good. Meaning good comes out of evil. This correlates to the belief that something good will always come from a bad experience or such. I like this because it's a philosophy that I myself have tried to live.

Many people would say this state of happiness is just fantasy, a fairy tale where 'people' live happily ever after. A very romantic view of life in the pursuit of happiness. Some may say this is utter nonsense but I say it's genius...a state of mind or rather being. This also has Biblical roots such as Jesus' eye for an eye parable where He explains that if something bad happens then sacrifice another part and good will come of it...you know the whole Love God Love Others rule. Selfless sacrifice...sound familiar?

Just something I heard and liked. So I passed my thought onto you.

No comments: