Monday, April 16, 2007

I am happy.

I was talking to a friend last night about following your dreams and having a career instead of a job. It's a hard thing to accomplish. Decisions are tough when choosing between money and a calling. This world tends to trick us into focusing on the money aspect. I sure was in the beginning. Thought I would be a hot-shot water quality tech testing waters and busting the bad guys...you know the big bucks. Funny to think that was my mind set... and this only seven years ago. It's man's plan vs. God's plan. And one always prevails. He takes us on a journey that turns our plan inside out, twists it, turns it, and then throws it aside saying "hey, Mine is a lot easier...try it...you really have no choice in the matter."

In seven years I went from taking the biggest step in my life thus far in the Philippines and almost throwing the towel in. Then I realized that He was dramatically renovating my life from the inside out. Next challenge was coming back stateside. If I thought going was hard, man I was mistaken, It was leaving Cebu and transitioning back to the American culture that was mind blowing. I struggled big time trying to share my feelings, views, and experiencing in a way others could relate. Time and time again I was struck down as my shield began to falter. Again I was brought back and shook off the struggles to embrace the next season in my life. I needed distraction from myself and to start focusing on others. So I took yet another big step and drove across the country; all the while knowing with each passing mile that this was His plan unfolding little by little. Texas was about to reveal itself in a BIG way. I left all that was familiar again to teach outdoor education to youth at an environmental leadership camp. There I refocused myself in a awesome way on God thanks to roommates and co-workers that helped me find my groove. After 1.5 years in my comfort zone yet again I found myself needing more challenge. I knew that God was going to throw another curve ball at me so I tried to prepare for the worst. God was calling me to something bigger and better. I was given the word "nurse" with the clarification that it was not related to the medical field. I wanted to move back home because my mom needed a double lung transplant... but God had something else. Something that basically fell into my lap. I struggled with the choice. Washington or Texas. Family and friends or starting anew. Something comfortable or starting over again. It was starting over again. For the fourth time. To Corpus I went and now reside. My job was familiar but very much unknown. I worked till my brains were mush, I don't recommend this. So I sat back to reanalyze. Yes, I told myself, this is where I need to be, where He was leading me. I took a deep breath and dove in with a more balanced plan of attack.

I love my job pure and simple. Working with at-risk youth who actually need me and teaching Adventure Education across the Coastal Bend. I went from hot-shot water quality tech to teaching youth how to change their behavior and create a brighter future for themselves. Night and day let me tell you. Plus I'm plugged into a church and life group who bless me with every word they speak and hug they give. This is what He had in plan for me.

It's been a long journey to get to this point. Good times and hard times. All for the good though. I finally feel content like I am doing what I was created to do. Helping these kids help themselves. Plus I'm more involved in the church now than ever before.

I understand that this isn't the end of my journey. That there will be plenty of road blocks and curve balls in my future. I just keep reminding myself...His plan not mine. Mine is full of trenches and landmines. His is full of love, grace, and mercy. I am happy to be tested, tried, forgiven, renewed, and to simply live. I am happy.

So what's the secret? "Keep on keeping on...and live simply...or simply live"

No comments: