Last Sunday I went to the folk festival with some co-workers and it was awesome. My boss, who is very much a proud hippie, informed me that the population of Kerrville goes from being super conservative to moderate liberal for the three week duration. He was right, one day you are shopping with people dressed classy casual and the next people are garbed in colorful, flowing, loose material that can be very revealing. The clean cut residents make way for dredlocks and bodyhair; and you see more VW bugs, buses, and beat-up old jalopies than ever before.
Now, I don't mind one bit this change of scenery...it's very freeing and refreshing to see and interact with a people who consider the simple things over the mainstream and have an apparent appreciation for the natural world, one that can be seen in their everyday actions, beliefs, and lifestyle.
So when I walked through the gate, passed the campgrounds where mini-concerts were being held, and into the mainstage area I simply smiled. I felt very at home. It reminded me of college days in Bellingham and my time in the Peace Corps. A place where people are simply being. We found a patch of earth and laid our brightly colored quilt down then went in search of food. On my way to the falafel stand I saw a bunch of 261ers (Karen, Leonard, and Katie)...were reminisced over the Philippines and our current/past lives. Armed with my falafel I sat down with my friends and feasted. During the performances (Dar Williams, South Austin Jug Band, Austin Lounge Lizards) I laid down staring up at the Pecan tree boroughs with the clear night sky in the background. Minor earthquakes erupted every time a topless child ran by without care of pedestrians or the occasional adults enjoying their personal liberties. The wafts of patchouli and other inscence brought a smile to my face. I thought to myself..."I can't believe this is occurring in conservative Texas".
Great music, people watching, and small performances here and there made for a very pleasant evening.
Other than that Summer session is in full swing. Having a plethora of kids on ranch again brings a smile to my face. Also I got my finger splint off this afternoon. The doctor said my fracture is healed. Now the tip is still a little sensitive from where it was cut but at least I can resume activities using all my digits again. I'm determined to have my finger fully flexible and operational within the next week or so. (For those of you who don't know, I decided to see what happens when a hand goes through a pulley...answer is...you pretty much cut the tip of your ring finger off and break it by the knuckle). But all is well now...just have to do finger bends for awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment